Thursday 13 September 2018

Self Introduction

Subject: Self introduction

Dear Professor,

My name is Hou Yang and I am writing this to you to let you know more about me. I was graduated from Temasek Polytechnic this year with a diploma in Aerospace Electronics. My hobby is to watch Japanese anime and learn about their culture. Although I never been to Japan, I love the culture and environment of the country. Moreover, one of my Cross Disciplinary Subject (CDS) in polytechnic is Japanese Language.

Since I am a foreigner, I do not have to serve national service, thus I considered to further my studies. During the open house, I was attracted by the IWSP which offers by SIT, because I felt that the polytechnic internship was really useful and allow me to apply the knowledge that I learnt from my modules into real life application. Not only that, experience also can be gained from the guiding of my supervisor and colleges. Therefore, I believe the IWSP will enhance the academic studies by putting them into workplace.

My weakness in communication is that English was my weakest subject since primary school. Since my first language is Chinese and my family also communicates in Chinese, these make me harder to pronounce English. Also, I’m not so confident in speaking in English. The Strength I have in communication is that I am willing to interact with people.

My goal for this Effective Communication module is to improve my communication and writing skills, as well as building up confidence. I found that is it very important to communicate and write well especially during work, as I often need to discuss with my supervisor and colleague and send emails to customers and suppliers. I believe this skill will be useful in life.

I hope this module will help me to enhance my skills in communication and writing.

Best regards,
Hou Yang

11 comments:

  1. Hi Hou Yang!
    Just need to focus a little more on your tenses as well as grammar and you're good to go! Overtime with more practice and your grammar will definitely improve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great content on the introduction. It is a well written introduction email if you just brush up your grammar slightly.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi JiaHao,

      Thanks for your comment. I will look into my grammer errors.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Hou Yang,

    Thanks for this detailed letter. You've addressed all the elements required in the assignment. It's interesting for us to learn that you are actually a foreigner in Singapore. Does that mean you don't even have PR?

    I appreciate your effort, but this draft needs some revision in terms of language use. Please consider these points:

    1) verb issues
    -- I was graduated... >>> (wrong form)
    -- Although I never been to Japan... >>> (wrong form)
    -- one of my Cross Disciplinary Subject (CDS) in polytechnic is...
    -- the IWSP which offers (wrong form)
    -- the polytechnic internship was really useful and allow me to apply (verb tense inconsistency)


    2) phrasing
    -- experience also can be gained from the guiding of my supervisor and colleges. >>> (word use/meaning)

    3) sentence structure
    -- Since I am a foreigner, I do not have to serve national service, thus I considered to further my studies. >>> (run on sentence)
    -- I believe the IWSP will enhance the academic studies by putting them into workplace. >>> (them?)
    -- ...these make me harder to pronounce English. >>> ...these make it harder for me to pronounce English.
    -- I found that is it very important.... >>> (word order)

    You've mentioned that the use of English is not common in your family. I'd suggest that you try to use it more often and that you even watch films and TV in English when possible. Another thing you can do is try to step out of your comfort zone even in class and participate more.

    I loook forward to your next draft and to working with you this term.

    Cheers,

    Brad

    p.s. Could you change the language of your blog into English?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Professor Brad,

      Thank you for your reply. I really appreciate it.

      Yes, I do not have a PR.

      I watch files and movies in English quite often since I came to Singapore. I will take your advise and try to communicate with my course mates in English more often.

      Thanks and best regards,
      Hou Yang

      Delete
  5. Hi Hou Yang! Thank you for sharing such an insightful introduction.

    There are some pointers which i felt you could improve on :

    - grammar
    - sentence structuring

    your organisation skills are good and content is interesting.

    I will start conversing with you in English to boost your confidence level.

    Overall, I really enjoyed reading!

    Cheers
    Bernadine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bernadine,

      Thank you for taking time to read my letter.

      I will look into the area that I am not so good at and I will communicate in English more often.

      Thanks and regards,
      Hou Yang

      Delete
  6. Hi HouYang,

    Overall the content is very detailed, and it seems like we have the same goals for this module. Let us work towards our goals.

    Cheers,
    Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ian,

      Thank you for your comment.

      Let's work hard to achieve our goals together!

      Cheers,
      Hou Yang

      Delete