Saturday 1 December 2018

Critical Reflection 1: Module & Project Learning

At the beginning of the course, my communication and writing skills were poor, for example, I was unable to express the things I want to deliver in a proper sentence, therefore I aimed to improve on these areas.

First of all, the effective communication lessons were fun and entertaining, which made learning interesting. There were many opportunities that allowed us to discuss as a pair or a group, this helped me to enhance my communication skill and to step out of my comfort zone to share my ideas with my classmates effectively. After been through the course, I have made some progress on what I set as my goal. The reader response and summary article assignments have boosted not only my skill in writing, but also improve my reading skill. As of now, I will take an extra step whenever I am writing, which is to check my grammar carefully. Moreover, reading news articles has also become one of my habits now. Even though there is no more effective communication lesson, I will continue to read news or articles as to further improve in my communication skills.

The group project was beneficial to develop our teamwork and communication skills. Working in a team is not easy as we possess different strengths and weaknesses, thus we have to communicate effectively in order to understand one another better. In this way, we can combine forces and work in a more effective way. In addition, I also learnt to respect other’s ideas and contributing my own to work towards a common goal. As there were some disagreement at the start, but we managed to resolve on a topic which all of us agreed.

The team presentation was never been easy for me since polytechnic days, as I always get very nervous, tends to tremble and even lost my words when doing public speaking. In order to overcome these problems, we arranged meet up to do rehearsal presentation in front of our peer teams. In the process, we helped to point out one another’s weaknesses and learnt from them, so as not to make the same mistakes.

Lastly, with our team efforts, both of our technical report and team presentation were successfully completed, and this proved teamwork is the key to succeed. In future when working as a team either in school or work space, we must respect one another’s ideas and cooperate with one another as everyone has different area of expertise.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this final reflection, Hou Yang. I appreciate your effort in detailing a response to this assignment and your hard work with the module in general.

    Best wishes as you continue your learning journey at SIT and beyond.

    ReplyDelete